John Field MSc BSc (Hons)
Preferred Location: London Travelzones 1-4 (1-2 preferred); living in Finsbury Park, Zone 2
An experienced PHP engineer seeking new challenges. Skillsets include full cycle development, object-oriented development, agile processes, analysis, architecture, detailed design, implementation, QA, deployment, maintanence, knowledge transfer, and so forth, using open technologies including LAMP and agile processes including Scrum.
My current position is as senior developer with an electronic publishing house, playing a central role in the development & maturation of a multi-product video/audio/reference publishing & reference platform with a global customer base.
Experienced at working both independently, and as part of a proactive development team, I’m analytical, disciplined & passionate about my work. I consider myself a lifelong learner and my chosen profession as my life’s work, not just ‘a career’. I’m seeking opportunities in the central London area for architect, technical, & project lead roles, preferably using open technologies.
* PHP (5 years)
* SQL (MySQL, SQLite, SQLServer, Oracle, Access) (5 years)
* HTML/XHTML/CSS/DOM (10+ years)
* LAMP stack development (5 years)
* Eclipse (3 years)
* Apache (4 years)
* Xapian search engine (3 years)
* Agile development processes, including Scrum & Kanban (Lean)
* Ubuntu Linux, both as a development platform, deployment technology, and for personal use (2 years)
* Object Oriented Development (10 years)
* Data modelling & database design (10 years)
* Systems architecture
* Subversion revision control
* Web technologies & request cycles
* Management of entire development lifecycle for multiple products
* Master’s degree in Internet Systems Development
* Coaching & mentoring skills, inc. knowledge transfer
* Communication & mentoring skills, often with virtual teams & non-technical audiences
* Zend Framework
* Information architecture
* Mass data import, & metadata editing systems
* Interaction design and user experience (UX)
* Standards & Accessibility
* Ubuntu server configuration & maintenance
* Launchpad/Quickly/GTK/CouchDB (Ubuntu development), HTML5/Canvas, Get Things Done, design patterns, test driven development (TDD), management of open software development, Paint Shop Pro, C, C++, C#, Java, ASP 3 (Classic), Visual Basic 6, Pascal, UML, Dreamweaver, Flash, Python (Django), Wordpress, PEAR, other PHP frameworks (Propel, Cake, Code Igniter), Facebook Platform, Windows 3.1 to XP, Ruby on Rails, debugging & optimisation tools (xDebug & CacheGrind), scientific/analytical thinking & training
Senior Developer, Alexander Street Press (June 2006 – present)
All-digital publisher based in Washington DC of approx 80 employees. Played critical role role in LAMP development team for design, development, QA, deployment & maintenance of a bespoke publishing platform called MUCO for nearly 20 text, print reference, graphical, audio, and video web collections covering numerous humanities and social science disciplines for hundreds of libraries and universities worldwide
* Specification/feature breakdown, research & development; integration; deployment; work allocation & prioritisation; large-scale data-import & manipulation
* Involvement in complete life cycle of multiple products, including code/content enhancement; including short-term development task, medium-term product releases, and long-term development projects such as platform enhancements
* Collaboration with Chief Technology Officer/CTO, Head of Development, global & local development teams, non-technical staff, QA staff, UI designers, and others in a virtual office; requiring high verbal and written communication skills
* Large degree of initiative, self-motivation, and self-organisation for both independent and team-based work
* Knowledge transfer/mentoring with other developers of components and architecture
* System, server, and database administration & support
* Vital involvement in majority of feature set for nearly 20 seperate products, often as sole/lead feature developer: custom search engine on top of Xapian, content browsing with numerous views/visualizations, complex metadata display, PDF/image viewer, audio player, Flash video player, authentication, territorial controls, extensive per-product configuration, playlists, limited subset of public content, subtitle& transcript display, search, and navigation, dynamic product combining/cross-search
* Backoffice tools for business support: customer relationship management, territorial control, user accounts and management, metadata indexing, semantic/tagging indexing, complex data structures, extensible metadata editing & administration, XML processing, extensive data import, report, visualisation, and cleanup, including from XML, flatfile, and licensed databases, QA tools, content tracking, front-end content compilation, content preparation/QA/release process, interoperability with other company systems (e.g. a similar-purposed .NET publishing / metadata platform) & data providers, statistics recording, migration of exiting products into legacy platform, automated regression testing; users in management, business leaders, non-technical data input staff, and documentation for developers
* Platform products received awards for architecture, UX, and content; account for over 50% of volume sales
* Migration of legacy & concurrent company products to platform
* Evangelising agile processes adoption, including Scrum & Kanban, over legacy waterfall/ad hoc model; expose process issues
* Evangelising social media adoption
* Evangelising of ‘Do The Right Thing’ development techniques to codebase/company development practices, e.g. ActiveRecord, code/content seperation, dogfooding, 80/20 rule, DRY, YAGNI, retrospectives, refactoring, late-binding optimization, recognition of technical debt, centralisation of documentation/issue tracking, code formatting & conventions
* Effectively project lead for numerous product development/release projects
Developer, Portsmouth Business School (2005 – June 2006)
Responsibilities: Analysis, architecture, development, deployment, and maintenance of GoalPost, a student “Personal Development Planning” e-learning system for careers & self-development, for over 2000 students and 150 staff.
Achievements: Full responsibility for entire development lifecycle. Designed, developed, tested, & deployed system under time and budget. Took on staff training sessions, quality assurance, documentation, server admin, & troubleshooting. Successfully lobbied for, and implemented, social networking elements to system. Presentations of systems & findings at conferences. Contract extended to extend system as a student feedback capturing & analysis application, and to prototype a folksonomic content management system, for Business School staff. Technologies incorporated into central University systems upon leaving.
Technologies/Skills: LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), system analysis, software architecture, UI design, OOP, PEAR, web standards, accessibility compliance, server deployment, Ruby on Rails, Oracle, ATHENS login, heterogenous system integration
Web Developer, Geodata Institute, University of Southampton (Jan-Feb 2005)
Responsibilities: Analysis, design & development of PHP-driven web sites and Visual Basic geological information system (GIS) applications as part of specialised web development team
Achievements: involved with GIS systems for councils and scientific teams; including completing a Vodafone population application in under 50% of budget. Left during trial period for subsequent position.
Technologies/Skills: LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), Visual Basic, software architecture, OOP, large data manipulation/processing
MSc. Internet Systems Development, University of Portsmouth (2003-2004)
Responsibilities: Personal career development via a specialist technical course; considerable self-management, independent & team work, on small & medium projects
Achievements: Merit grade; expanded and formalised my capabilities & knowledge; achieved higher results in areas I was new to compared to colleagues with experience in the subject; increase in self-confidence and awareness; word-of-mouth good reputation led to future employment. Dissertation included developing timetabling application for a local school.
Implementer, The Innovation Group (2000-2003)
Responsibilities: Analysis and design of financial insurance systems, including backend data processing, presentation, administration, marketing websites both independently and as part of prototyping client-facing teams
Achievements: Promoted from trainee to core development team; involvement in business milestones, mission-critical development, and client prototype demonstrations. Left position to undertake Master’s degree for career purposes
I.T. Lecturer & Course Manager, School Of Computing, Highbury College (1997-2000)
Responsibilities: Lecturer for a wide variety of courses teaching vocational I.T. & related skills to a wide range of people, from school-leavers to company directors, up to and including HNC level. Subjects included programming, web design, and business analysis an I.T. context. Course management and administration. Large amounts of self-motivated, independent work, including course design
Achievements: Literally helped hundreds of people to progress their own lives and careers. Achieved record student retention rates. Initially two evenings a night, was promoted several times to final position. Increased interpersonal and communication skills. Involved in regular auditing with external bodies. Consulted on modernisation proposals for course content.
Technologies/Skills: Mentoring, training, administration, management, people motivation, interpersonal skills, programming including Pascal, C, Visual Basic, hardware, networking, business in the enterprise
BSc. (Hon) Applied Physics, University of Portsmouth (1992-1996)
Responsibilities: Gain first degree, personal growth. Sandwich year with industrial placement at British Steel’s Technological Research Laboratories
Achievements: 2.ii grade, final year project: simulation of gravity formation of galactic arms (A grade); Merit grade for Diploma of Industrial Studies (from sandwich placement)
Technologies/Skills: Studying, physical science, computational physics, electronics, quantum physics, various other related units
Wallingford School, Wallingford (1985-1992)
GSCES & A-Levels, including Maths, Physics, Biology
Random CV Trivia
Philosophy, politics, astronomy, paleontology, space science, evolutionary psychology, cognitive psychology, and the paranormal,; I’ve also performed a sponsored firewalk.